Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Moment That Stays



A Moment That Stays
The parking lot of the Lund’s is grey
And the sky is grey too
Blanketed with thick woolen clouds.
I sit patiently in the back seat of the burgundy Buick
My stick legs folded underneath me
With my face poking between the driver and passenger seat.
The leather is cool on my face.
My grandfather sits in the driver’s seat
He smells musty, a deep warm scent that is comfortingly familiar.
The skin on his long face sags, his five o’clock shadow is white
Like fine salt sprinkled on his jaw.
We listen to the murmur of the engine
And the rhythmic thwip, thwap, thwip, thwap of the windshield wipers
As the rain pricks the glass and roof of the car
Tik, tik, tik, tik, tik.
We watch the entrance to the store vigilantly
Like a pair of hunting dogs
Waiting for my mother and grandmother to return,
Weighed down by bursting brown bags of food.
Grandpa tells me about his days in college,
A concept still so foreign to me
At only five years old.
He sings a part of his old school song in a low, raspy voice.
We are poor little lambs who have lost our way
Ba, ba, ba.
Tik, tik, tik.
Thwip, thwap, thwip.
This moment always stays with me.
I’m not always sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment